October 29, 2007

I found it mind boggling that colleges would consider admitting students without a high school diploma or an equivalent.  Doesn’t that downgrade our educational system.  If students see they can go to college without high school, what motivates students to continue high school.  Also, what about those students that finished high school and have to work with students in class. I would be very angry if I had to be in a group with someone that did not finish high school and is lacking important skills to do well on the project.

Today we also discussed innovations.  I believe I am between early majority and late majority.  Mainly due to the fact that I lack the capital to buy some of these new devices.  If I could, I would buy it at a good price rather than looking for the bargain later on. Also, I am not always a person to purchase new devices because I did the research. For example, I had an upgrade for my phone. So I picked this new phone from samsung.  My husband asked me why I liked it and if I researched the phone. I told him no, I picked it because I liked the color and the way it looked.  He couldn’t believe it.   I also liked the fact that it was new but free.  So I fall between those two groups. 

One thought on “October 29, 2007

1. College without high school – You know what; I don’t know what to think of it. I know many students can’t stand high school, are very intelligent, and possess good social skills. On the other hand, high school seems to be a “right of passage” and a way to regulate skill levels. On the other hand, is it fair to hold someone back if they can take the work, and the heat? I am not sure.

Innovator scale – You mentioned some reasons why you are not an early adopter. I would add “time” to my list. I often don’t have the time for trail and error unless I am convinced that the benefit is worth the cost! And yes the cool or the “coolness factor” always weighs pretty heavily!